in

Why You Should Never Eat Leftover Rice

Why You Should Never Eat Leftover Rice

Rice is a great food that has become a staple in just about every home in the world and while it is very versatile, the filling and delicious side dish needs to be handled properly, so that those who consume it do not become ill of a result of their rice based meals.

There is a certain conception circulating the Internet when it comes to rice, as there are many who believe that eating leftover rice will eventually make you sick.

On the other hand, experts who have researched this matter believe that it is all about how the rice is stored.

As soon as your rice has been fully cooked, there is no circumstance where it should be allowed to sit anywhere at room temperature.

The rice is filled with potentially harmful spores and when the bacteria that these spores contain is exposed to the air, the results are not pretty at all.

Why You Should Never Eat Leftover Rice

Once that stuff hits bottom, you could be left running to the bathroom over and over again.

Another helpful tip: if you hear any sort of crunch or crispiness while eating the rice, this is a sure sign that you need to put it back into the pan and cook it more thoroughly.

If rice has been sitting for a long period of time, it is in your best interests to avoid it altogether.

Rice needs to be placed in your fridge as quickly as possible once you have brought it home or cooked it and those who ignore this warning could find themselves in a world of hurt later on.

How Does Reheated Rice Cause Food Poisoning?

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. The spores can survive when rice is cooked.

If rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria.

Why You Should Never Eat Leftover Rice

These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.

Symptoms of food poisoning

If you eat rice that contains Bacillus cereus bacteria, you may be sick and experience vomiting or diarrhoea about 1 to 5 hours afterwards. Symptoms are relatively mild and usually last about 24 hours.

Tips on serving rice safely

  • Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
  • If that isn’t possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within 1 hour).
  • Keep rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day until reheating.
  • When you reheat any rice, always check the dish is steaming hot all the way through.
  • Do not reheat rice more than once.
Why You Should Never Eat Leftover Rice

Do you have friends and family members who love rice, but are unaware of how to properly store this culinary staple?

Be sure to share this story as soon as possible, so that they can avoid the unpleasantness associated with improper rice storage.

Source: NHS

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loading…

0
Drivers Will Now Be Able To Get EMOJIS On Their Licensed Plate Number

Drivers Will Now Be Able To Get EMOJIS On Their Licensed Plate Number

On her deathbed, woman warns everyone about her dangerous hobby that took her life

On Her Deathbed, Woman Warns Everyone About Her Dangerous Hobby That Took Her Life