Chris Carr Park in Huntington Beach, California, is an 11-acre city park featuring a playground, a lake for fishing, and family picnic areas.
But recently, a group of parkgoers noticed the wild birds of Carr Park exhibiting some very strange behavior.
A Canada goose and ring-billed gull were seen walking at a very sluggish pace, their heads hung low and their eyes nearly closed shut.
At one point, the goose fell onto its back and passed out. Its legs were sticking straight up in the air like it was dead.
It wasn’t long before the concerned neighbors saw that hundreds of prescription pills had been dumped in the park, scattered in the grass.
The birds probably thought they’d struck gold and stumbled upon a treasure trove of grain.
According to the post, hundreds of pills, which may have included heart medications, antidepressants, and anti-anxiety and insomnia medications, were left at Carr Park by an unknown person. To the birds, the medicine may have appeared to be grain.
According to one commenter, who identified himself as an assistant manager at a sober-living facility, one of the pills included Seroquel, a “heavy sedative used in [paranoia]/anxiety.”
The Canada goose and ring-billed gull received IV fluids and, as of Thursday, appeared to be doing better.
Instead, they ingested heart and sleep-aid medications and antidepressants!
The Good Samaritans called animal control, and the birds were transported to the local wildlife center. The staff confirmed the sad truth: The birds had overdosed.
The goose was even back on its two feet, thanks to the administered fluids.
“A caring citizen noticed hundreds of pills all over the grass at a park in Huntington Beach yesterday. He saw a goose in distress and called Animal Control,” the nonprofit wrote.
“There were other birds that may have eaten some of the pills but they were able to fly away. … Thank you to those who took quick action to help the innocent birds at this park.”
Luckily, the story has a happy ending.