Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu has told his security cabinet that Israel should ‘stay out of’ any fallout culminated by the killing of Iranian commander, Qassem Soleimani.
Netanyahu stated that since the general’s assassination was carried out solely by the US, there is no reason to get involved. To buttress his stance further, the Prime Minister banned ministers from talking to the press about the General’s death.
Netanyahu, who had initially threw his backing behind the strike, praising the US president for taking ‘strong’ action has however decided to steer clear of being involved in the looming warfare between Iran and the United States for fear of creating the impression Israel was involved in the General Soleimani’s murder.
‘The killing of Soleimani is a U.S. event, not an Israeli event, and we should stay out of it,’ Netanyahu was reported to have said.
Also speaking on the issue, the director of Israel’s security service, Mossad stated that the risk of an Iranian strike on Israel is low because ‘Israel stayed distant from the event’.
Iranian citizens have promised to execute a ‘crushing revenge’ on the United States following the strike which killed Soleimani and other top Revolutionary Guards commanders last week, expected to ramp up on Tuesday when a three-day period of mourning ends.
A senior Iranian minister and ertswhile Guard commander, Mohsen Rezai,has threatened to reduce the Israeli cities of Tel Aviv and Haifa ‘to dust’ as part of the revenge mission.
While Iran has not made the rest of its retaliation plans clear, it is suspected that US troops based in Iraq, the embassy in Baghdad, and troops in Syria are top targets.