Robbing and Boxing don’t go together… Get robbed or get boxed
Unbeaten middleweight contender Jermall Charlo was robbed of $40,000 in cash and $115,000 worth of jewelry early Sunday morning after an altercation inside Jay Z’s 40/40 Club in New York.
According to police, Charlo (26-0, 20 KO) allegedly got into an argument which turned physical inside the Manhattan night club.
When he returned to his seat, a bag consisting of a reported $155,000 in cash and jewelry was missing.
Jermell Charlo is an American professional boxer who held the WBC light middleweight title from 2016 to 2018.
After his verbal trading with Jacobs late Saturday, the two continued trading obscenity-filled tweets over the next day teasing a possible future fight between them. Charlo went so far as suggesting both forgo their previously announced fights to face each other.
“Let’s cut the chase,” Charlo tweeted. “Forget the fight with Centeno and The Poland Kid, let’s make this s–t happen like good ole days.”
The idea of a fight between both is complicated by the fact that Jacobs, a former PBC fighter advised by Al Haymon, left Showtime to sign a contract with HBO. But Jacobs, who faces Poland’s Maciej Sulecki on April 28 at the Barclays Center, said in a press release Tuesday that he’s ready and willing to see Charlo next.
“All my focus right now is on Maciej Sulecki and I know it’s going to be a tough fight,” Jacobs said.
“This is the third undefeated fighter I have faced in a row, and after I’ve taken his 0, then if I don’t get the ‘GGG’ [Gennady Golovkin] versus Canelo [Alvarez] winner, I’m happy to take Jermall Charlo’s 0 too.
“Charlo is fighting a guy that Sulecki has already knocked out.
These guys talk the talk but as you saw on Saturday when things get real it’s another story. Charlo is already beaten and the bell hasn’t even rung yet.”
His identical twin brother, Jermall Charlo, is also a professional boxer and former world champion.
In 2017, Jermell was ranked as the world’s best active light middleweight by the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board (TBRB).
As of August 2018, he is ranked as the world’s second best active light middleweight by The Ring magazine and the TBRB, and third by BoxRec.
Things get messier, @mookiealexander who tweeted, “Jermell Charlo getting robbed. Don’t fight in New York.”
According to Rashad Coulter who tweets on his account about the dreadful incident, ‘Boxing is corrupt. Charlo was robbed. Unbelievable’
Rashad “Daywalker” Coulter is an American professional mixed martial artist, currently competing in the Light heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
A professional since 2011, he formerly competed for Bellator MMA and Legacy Fighting Championship.
What others say about Charlo being robbed